Towering over rocky crags at the foot of the German Alps, Neuschwanstein Castle has inspired awe and wonder ever since it opened to the public in 1886. This tour is a full-day, fairytale adventure that is not to be missed!
A two-hour train or bus journey through the majestic Bavarian countryside takes us to the idyllic setting of Neuschwanstein. You’ll take in the splendor of the village of Hohenschwangau and the neighboring castle of Neuschwanstein and discuss the famous Lohengrin legend while overlooking the Alpsee.
A short climb up to the Marienbrücke reveals picture-perfect views of this 19th-century, neo-romantic masterpiece. From the courtyard you will hear the story of the budget-busting, problematic construction of Neuschwanstein Castle.
Whether you choose to take the 35-minute tour inside the castle (an extra cost of €13) or decide to spend this time exploring the foothills of the Bavarian Alps while your guide describes the lavish castle interior, this tour will leave you wanting for nothing in the epic story of Neuschwanstein Castle and ‘Mad’ King Ludwig in all its magic, romance, and absurdity.
At the end of the tour, we attempt to unravel the ambiguity of King Ludwig II of Bavaria, who wished to ‘remain an eternal enigma’. Will you be the one to unlock the mystery surrounding his death - a mystery which persists to this day!
- Remember to wear decent footwear for the uphill walks
- Entrance for a 35-minute tour inside the castle is an additional €13
- Skip-the-line tickets service for the internal Castle tour
- Transportation by train or bus is included in the ticket price
- This tour will return to Munich for 18:30 in Winter or 19:00 in summer months
- Take advantage of our group discount of 10% for groups of 10 or more!
- Not wheelchair accesible
The independent guides with whom we work have your best interests in mind; while the tour usually includes the sites and stories above and lasts this long, your tour may vary depending on what your guide thinks is best for your group!
This full-day magical adventure covers:
- The life and passions of Ludwig II
- Ludwig’s mysterious death – conspiracy, suicide, or tragedy?
- Neuschwanstein Castle
- The ‘madness’ of King Ludwig, the Swan King
- The stunning Bavarian countryside and Alps
- The Marienbrücke*
- Hohenschwangau Castle (view from outside only)
- The Pöllat waterfall gorge
- Ludwig’s patronage of Richard Wagner
... and much more!
*Depending on weather conditions