Bike through the pristine forests of Transylvania and live the local traditions of the unique saxon villages - one of Europe's best preserved secrets. Castles, fortified churches, remote villages, medieval preserved cities experienced in the best way possible - on a bicycle.
- Walk in the only inhabited medieval citadel in the world - the UNESCO site of Sighisoara
- Bike through the Breite Reserve of Secular Oaks
- Travel to the forgotten Bethlen Castle in Cris
- Visit the Fortified Church of Malancrav and the nearby Apafi Manor
- Rest overnight in an authentic saxon house and enjoy the local home made delights
- Explore the charming Transylvanian countryside and visit the UNESCO site of Biertan
- Discover the cities of Medias and the 2007 European Capital of Culture - Sibiu
We depart in the morning to Sighisoara, a treasure medieval city built on a hill which has been continuously inhabited since it's early years in the XII th century. After a guided walking tour we get a bit of free time to later meet and get the bicycles. We then start the climb (also a bit of pushbike) to Breite Secular Oak Reserve.
The 30 minutes ride on the plateau leads us to a downhill towards the village of Stejareni and then the village of Cris. In Cris we'll find the forgotten Bethlen Castle, once one of the bigest libraries in Europe, now a setting for horror movies (well, we are in Transylvania :) ).
Cross the hill and we'll reach Malancrav, the wonderful village where we'll have dinner and spend the night in one of the refurbished centuries old guesthouses.
Next morning, after serving the home made organic breakfast where all the ingredients come from their households, we'll get on the bikes and pass through a couple of villages enjoying the Transylvanian countryside landscape to stop in Copsa Mare for visiting the fortified church and then in Biertan, the former seat of the bishop and one of the most important Saxon villages with fortified churches in Transylvania, having been on the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites since 1993.
After Biertan we pass Richis and towards the city of Medias, a lovely medieval city of which we can read even in Bram Stoker's famous novel Count Dracula: "The wine was Golden Mediasch, which produces a queer sting on the tongue, which is, however, not disagreeable". Bike day is over so we can have a wine and get the coach to Sibiu.
Sibiu or Hermannstadt is one of the most important cultural centers of Romania and designated a European Capital of Culture for the year 2007. We'll have guided tour in the Old Town and enjoy the atmosphere of this very lively city.
In Sibiu you have the option to return to Brasov or stay in Sibiu. If you choose the latter as an option to this tour you will find accommodation in the City. Of course, you can also book the Sibiu and the Surroundings Tour for the following day so that your Transylvanian experience to be complete.
- Transportation by car/minibus/coach to Sighisoara
- Guided tour of Sighisoara
- Mountain Bike
- Visit to Bethlen Castle in Cris
- Accomodation in Malancrav in authentic saxon guesthouse | check add-ons for Apafi Manor accomodation option
- Dinner and breakfast in Malancrav
- Visit to Biertan Fortified Church
- Guided tour of Medias
- Transfer by car/minibus/coach from Medias to Sibiu
- Transfer by car/minibus/coach from Sibiu to Brasov or Bran | (you can opt for staying in Sibiu and next day try our 1 day Sibiu area tour)
What's Not Included:
- Entrance fees not mentioned above
- Meals if not mentioned above
- Any other personal expenses such as souvenirs, snack, drinks, etc.
Good to Know:
Luggage service can be arranged for free to Malancrav and Medias/Sibiu. Given this fact you don't have to carry a lot, a bottle of water, raincoat, and some snacks would be enough. You can store this and extra in bike bags provided (various types).
A Meeting Point | BranB BrasovC SighisoaraD Breite Secular Oaks ReserveE StejareniF CrisG MalancravH LasleaI RoandolaJ ValchidK Copsa MareL BiertanM RichisN MosnaO MediasP SibiuQ BrasovR Bran
- transfer from Bran/Brasov to the medieval city of Sighisoara for a guided walk
- bike through Breite Secular Oaks Reserve
- reach the village of Stejareni and bike forward to Bethlen Castle in Cris
- cross the hill to the village of Malancrav where, after dinner we spend the night
- bike through the villages of Laslea, Valchid and Copsa Mare to reach the fortified church of Biertan
- bike south to Richis and uphill to the road to the city of Medias, passing through Mosna
- transfer from Medias to Sibiu for a short walk and option to stop
- transfer from Sibiu to Brasov/Bran